Born and raised in Montana, Governor Steve Bullock fights for Montana’s middle-class families every day. He spent the last four years working to create more good-paying jobs, increase wages, and keep more money in Montanans pockets.
Working together, we have accomplished a lot in the past four years, including:
Creating More Good Paying Jobs
More Montanans are working than ever before in our state’s history–20,000 jobs have been created under Steve Bullock’s leadership, according to the Department of Labor and Industry.
Today Montana’s unemployment rate is nearly a full percentage point under the national average.
Montana has been named the top state for entrepreneurship for the third year in a row by the Kaufmann Foundation.
Steve is also bringing together 250 CEOs, business and community leaders from across Montana to identify more opportunities for economic growth across a variety of industries through the Main Street Montana Project.
Under Steve Bullock’s leadership Montana has the 6th fastest wage growth in the country over five years, according to the latest Labor Day report. Bullock also expanded job training and apprenticeship opportunities that allows graduates get good paying jobs.
Keeping More Money in Montanans Pockets
Montanans are mindful with the family checkbook, and fiscal responsibility is a top priority for Steve Bullock.
During his tenure, Steve Bullock has personally vetoed more than $100 million in wasteful spending, and balancing the budget every legislative session while maintaining a $300 million rainy-day fund. The Washington Post called Montana the best state in America, with a tax system that “is the fairest of them all.”
Steve’s Plan for Moving Forward
Over the past several months, Steve Bullock took action and also released plans for the next four years to create jobs, grow our economy, and increase wages:
Closing the Wage Gap and Getting Equal Pay for Equal Work
- Steve signed an Executive Order that incentivizes businesses that contract with the state to lead by example and ensure equal pay for equal work by promoting salary transparency.
- Bullock established an equal-pay hotline and started a statewide “Equal Pay MT” challenge to businesses to help raise community awareness about equal pay.
- Steve announced plans to re-introduce the Paycheck Fairness Act in the 2017 Legislature, which will provide wage transparency for women in the workplace.
Cutting Taxes for Montana Small Businesses that Create Jobs
- Waiving 75% of the state business equipment tax for new or expanding Montana businesses incentivizing job growth and higher wages.
- Increasing career and earning opportunities for Montanans by providing businesses a $1,000 tax credit for offering employees on-the job training.
- Hiring veterans by providing businesses a $2,000 tax credit for every veteran hired and offered on-the- job training.
Go to Work Building Montana’s Infrastructure
- Steve rolled out a $200 million infrastructure investment plan that will address the immediate needs of Montana communities, financed through a responsible mix of cash and bonds.
- The plan will invest funds in water systems, bridges, roads, capital projects and school improvements.
- The plan will also create the Build Montana Trust that will dedicate 75% of the revenue coming into the Coal Tax Severance Fund to fund Montana’s infrastructure needs for future generations.
Increase Access to Public Lands and Grow the Outdoor Economy
- Steve announced a plan to expand and protect public access to public lands, rivers and streams across our state.
- This plan will support and expand on the 64,000 jobs and $6 billion dollar outdoor recreation and tourism economy.