Equal Pay for Equal Work
It’s frustrating, but it needs to be said: women still make less money than men for doing the same work. The pay gap hits women of color especially hard. It’s time to hold businesses to a higher standard.
- Ensure equal pay for equal work by passing the Paycheck Fairness Act.
- Require employers to be transparent about pay practices to more easily identify bad actors and root out persistent discrimination.
- Publish a list of employers who refuse to be transparent about their pay practices if they are publicly traded companies.
- Fight to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, including for tipped workers, which disproportionately impacts women who make up over half of minimum wage earners in the US.
Donald Trump and Republican leaders in Washington have been fighting to end decades of progress in ensuring women aren’t forced to pay more for care than men. Steve will stop them.
- Ensure women don’t pay more for healthcare because of their gender and fight Republican-led attempts to roll-back these protections.
- Build on Obamacare so that every woman has insurance coverage that meets her needs.
- Read more about Steve’s plan to make affordable, high-quality healthcare accessible to every American here.
Support Every Family
Raising a family shouldn’t require giving up professional success. Yet too often, women’s earnings take a hit when they have children, with too many employers failing to support families with children. We must demand better.
- Fight for a national paid family leave policy that ensures every parent has the time, money, and job security to raise their children and have a shot at success.
- Ensure every family has access to universal pre-K, so workers with young children can choose what’s best for their families and careers.
- Make child care more affordable by increasing financial support for families to cover the increasingly high costs of child care.
- Ensure living wages for daycare workers and educators.
Reproductive Freedom and Reproductive Justice
Steve will fight to make sure women have the right to make their own healthcare decisions.
- Guarantee access to co-pay-free contraception.
- Protect birth control coverage and don’t let bosses dictate an employee’s private health decisions.
- Codify Roe v. Wade into federal law and appoint justices to the Supreme Court who will uphold our values.
- Strengthen family planning programs across the country and fully fund Title X.
- End the Global Gag Rule and overturn the Mexico City Policy.
- Repeal the Hyde Amendment which makes it harder for lower-income women to access basic reproductive healthcare and has a disproportionate impact on communities of color.
Confront Domestic Violence Head On and Support Survivors
Far too many women still live with the threat of physical violence and intimidation, especially Americans who live in minority communities. Black women are almost four times as likely as white women to be fatally shot. Indigenous women suffer murder rates 10 times higher than the national average.
- Stand up for survivors of sexual assault and reverse Donald Trump and Betsy DeVos’ attacks on protections for women on college campuses.
- Restore the Title IX standards that protect survivors of sexual assault and work to prevent assault in the first place.
- Close the boyfriend loophole that that allow abusers to obtain firearms and support red flag laws.
- Address the systemic inequities that subject women of color to disproportionate rates of assault and homicide.
- Fund well-researched efforts to teach young people about consent and healthy relationships so every woman grows up in a society that values them and their safety.
- Hold employers accountable by suspending or debarring federal contractors with a record of failing to protect women in the workplace.
- Direct the Department of Justice to prioritize sexual harassment cases.
A Record of Fighting for Women's Rights
A Record of Fighting for Women's Rights
- Signed an Executive Order incentivizing businesses to lead by example and promote equal pay for equal work for women and conducted the first-ever pay audit of state departments.
- Stopped every attack on a woman’s right to make her own healthcare decisions.
- Passed the state’s first ever Earned Income Tax Credit, helping middle-class families keep more of their hard-earned paychecks.
- Signed an Executive Order to ensure equal pay for Montana women and established an Equal Pay Plan from the Equal Work Task Force.